This is one of those incredibly easy, healthy and tasty recipes that continues to surprise me because of how much even my kids like it. It is a more grown up version of meatballs because of the wrapping using green leaves, and the tomato sauce that you make whilst the meat parcels steam away ends up thick, rich and slightly smokey. Try it and tell me if you are not surprised yourself too! By the way, the original recipe is with swiss chard and the result is brilliant. I prefer to make it with swiss chard because the leaves are larger, but in this instance I only had the cabbage at hand. Either way, a virtuous dinner with huge acceptance. (For 4 portions)
For the parcels:
6 large cabbage leaves, or 6 medium swiss chard leaves
1 medium carrot
1 slice bread
250 mince beef
salt and pepper
For the sauce:
1 medium peeled onion, cut in quarters
1 clove garlic
50g olive oil
600g chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
1 bay leaf
50g red wine
1 tsp sweet paprika
1tsp sugar or honey
1 tsp salt
1. If using savoy cabbage, blanche the leaves by dropping them into boiling water for 2 minutes and drain. Remove the middle rib and set aside. If using swiss cabbage, wash leaves and cut in half lengthwise to remove the middle rib. Set aside.
2. Put carrot in the TM bowl and grate 5 sec/speed 5. Push down any bits on the side of the bowl or under the lid. Add the rest of the ingredients of the meat parcels and programme 10 sec/Dough setting.
3. Place one tablespoon of the filling on each green leaf, roll it up and close with a toothpick or simply place carefully with the seam down onto the Varoma tray and Varoma dish.
4. Do not wash the bowl and start preparing your sauce. Place the onion and garlic in your TM bowl. 4 sec/speed 4. Bring down any bits on the side of the bowl down with your spatula.
5 . Add oil and programme 5 min/Varoma/Sp 1.
6. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the bowl, place the Varoma on top, and programme 25 min/Varoma/Sp 2.
7. When finished cooking, place the little rolls on a serving dish and pour the source over them and serve.